June 30, 2011

The Smell of Pine Tar and Maple Syrup in the Morning.


What's that you say? That's a strange blog title? Yes, well that is what I smell like ladies and gentleman. That's right. Pine tar and maple syrup. Ah, the lovely scents of postpartum. When I just smelled like maple syrup it wasn't so bad. Just made me want pancakes. Now, though it's a whole new disgusting menagerie of fragrances. Why do I smell like that you ask? Well, the maple syrup is from taking Fenugreek. The pine tar is from Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap which I have been using for an awful rash I have had since I gave birth. It's called PUPPP (warning: don't google it) and is common in pregnant women but not common postpartum. It now spans my entire body and is making me pretty miserable. I have tried everything and I'm still itching like a dog with fleas. Yes, I just compared myself to a dog. Hello Mommyland, goodbye shame. 

I'm sorry for the lack of posting lately. Life with a newborn is a 24/7 job. It's a miracle if I get time to pop a Lean Cuisine in the microwave for dinner. And sleep? That hasn't happened since a couple of days before I gave birth. It's amazing how you can function off of 2 hours of combined sleep a day. Well just look at this face and you'll see why. No matter how sleep-deprived, itchy, frustrated, or in pain I am I just look at that little face and all is beautiful. 

I have been taking a picture everyday so I will have to share more on here. I promise to leave out the lovely details next time though =). 

10 comments:

LuLu said...

He is just the cutest thing ever!
I cannot imagine operating off 2 hours of sleep - go YOU!

A Candid Life

Kristin said...

That sounds so awful, and I hope everything clears up soon! If anyone can handle it, it's definitely you! You're a supermom!

Sara said...

you poor thing, feel better soon!

Unknown said...

He's SO adorable! Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Tina said...

He is adorable! I'm really luving your photos. They are gorgeous. Especially the fairy tales. This is Tina (Minoo's favorite co-worker at BackStage).

Katy Casellini said...

He is just adorable. Thanks for sharing pictures of Zachary. I hope everything clears up soon for you, but am not surprised you're power-mom-ing through it.

Your blog and photography are nothing short of amazing.

The Keeper of the Keys said...

Awww, that wonderful little baby makes all the sleep deprivation and funny smells seem worthwhile no??

Unknown said...

Awww he's absolutely gorgeous!

Hope you get better soon! :)

Holly said...

so I googled it (because that's how I roll) and I am so sorry! As a fellow itchy person (exzema and can't take my meds anymore) I second some of the internet suggestions for cold compresses. I couldn't tell if the rash was dry or not, but if it s staying away from warm water (really just keeping it away from water period if you can) and moisturizing right after a shower, when you're damp, helps. I have head good things about awuaohor for itching (i'm allergic) and Sarna lotion got me through a rough bout of poison oak (it smells like vapo rub but worked AMAZING) hope you feel better soon :)

Rachael said...

I'm sorry you're suffering (or you were when you wrote this) but if you wanna put in details, don't hold back! It's definitely interesting to read and I love that you're honest.

Post a Comment